Crimean Tatar Resource Center
+38 (067) 343 74 54   +38 (044) 489 61 25

QT | UA | EN | RU

Political prisoner Gafarov suffered a heart attack

10 November 2022

The person involved in the second Simferopol Hizb ut-Tahrir case Dzhemil Gafarov suffered a heart attack. He could not get out of bed for four days. It is reported by the Crimean Solidarity.

According to Dzhemil Gafarov, his health deteriorated sharply on October 27, when the hearing had to be postponed due to the absence of lawyers. After the political prisoners were taken from the court back to the pre-trial detention center, Gafarov suffered a heart attack. As the elderly man said, he could not get out of bed for four days.

Gafarov added that his working capacity decreased, excruciating pains appeared in his joints. After lengthy meetings, he needs a long recovery. In this regard, the man asked the court to reduce the rules of court hearings and meet at trials a maximum of once a week, so that the body has time to rest even from minimal stress - walking up stairs, sitting in one position, etc.

It is noted that doctors gave Jemil Gafarov an indefinite second disability group (for movement, work, maintenance). The doctors also wrote out individual recommendations and a rehabilitation program for the defendant. Dzhemil Gafarov handed over all the documents to the court.

We remind you that on March 27, 2019, Russian security forces in the occupied Crimea carried out mass searches in 26 Crimean Tatars' dwellings. Literature was seized from some activists, which, according to Crimean Solidarity, the security forces planted themselves. In addition to books and brochures, people were confiscated phones, tablets, laptops, passports. The servicemen behaved rudely. It is reported that they used physical force against detainees and entered the houses in shoes. Lawyers who arrived at the site of the searches were not allowed to contact the detainees. According to the results of the searches, 20 people were suspected of involvement in the Hizb ut-Tahrir organization, which is banned in the Russian Federation. On March 28, three more Crimean Tatar activists were detained, in whose dwellings searches were carried out in their absence. On March 27-28, the occupation court arrested all 23 detainees after searches. They chose a preventive measure in the form of detention. Subsequently, all the individuals involved in this so-called case were repeatedly extended the terms of their arrest.